30 Single Dumbbell Deadlifts
30 Single Dumbbell Russian Swings
30 Single Dumbbell Goblet Squats
30 Single Dumbbell Hang Squat Cleans
30 Single Dumbbell Power Snatches
30 Single Dumbbell Overhead Step-back Lunges
*On the Minute: 5 Burpees
Congrats to Ally Barros as our next Member of the Month Spotlight! Thank you Ally! Scroll down to see more.
1) How did you get started at CFNE and what did you do before?
After a bad knee injury at a police academy, I came in to CrossFit New England with absolutely zero knowledge of the sport, but the hopes that it would strengthen my knee and pride enough to try again. After a ton of hard work, I was fortunate enough to be given another opportunity. I finished a 6 month academy – with a fitness award at the finish line, no less. Before that, I was a full time graduate student, and worked in a public school with students with developmental delays, autism, etc.
2) Where are you from and where are all the places you’ve lived?
Natick! I also lived in Westfield during my tenure at Westfield State.
3) What’s your favorite Crossfit movement?
Cleans. Barbell, dumbbells, light, heavy. Gimme.
4) If you were a Starbucks drink, what would you be and why?
I won’t lie – I had to consult an outside source for this one. My day shift dispatcher and Starbucks connoisseur says: “cold brew with salted honey cold foam – because you’re sweet yet salty AF”. She is not wrong.
5) If you could only have one meal the rest of your life, what would it be?
6) What is the craziest thing you’ve ever witnessed in your line of work?
Working in the city, I’ve been subjected to seeing tough things that I would have never have ever seen otherwise. The 2017 Free Speech Rally in Boston was one of the wildest events I have ever worked. But, I also get to see a lot of really cool and positive things happen on a daily basis. Balance.
7) What is your favorite book, and why?
That’s a tough one. I’m a fan of the classics, like Catcher in the Rye and the Great Gatsby. But also, The Art of Racing in the Rain…because dogs. Sloane is a big fan of anything by Eric Carle at the moment, so that’s what we’re currently reading.
8) What would you name the autobiography of your life?
“Are you serious?”…I feel like I say this to myself. A LOT.
9) What superpower would you want to possess?
10) What was the most important lesson you’ve had to learn?
There are tons of lessons I have yet to learn. But, letting go of things outside of my control has been the hardest but most useful, both in and out of work. And patience.
11) What’s your favorite memory from CFNE?
I feel like I’m obligated to say meeting my husband, right?!